Ch.32: Boscoreale

Escavation

Excavation of Nemus Regalis

Boscoreale is a city north of Pompeii, on the slopes of Vesuvius, by some identified with the Suburbanus Pagus Augustus Felix. For its fertility has been inhabited since prehistoric times and reoccupied after the eruption of 79 AD (the Baths of Casoni Street, II-III century after JC).  In Roman times there was here full of villas and farms devoted to vines, olives and cereals.  On the territory of Boscoreale (30 km from Naples, hidden behind Vesuvius ..) in the suburbs north of Pompeii, were executed in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century many archaeological excavations; they were conducted by private owners,

 they were principally in the discovery and recovery of wall decorations and the floor and valuables, which are usually merged in the collections of various museums (the National Museum of Naples, the Louvre, the Metropolitan Museum of New York), or in private collections.
 Several Villae Rusticae (thirty) were found, testimony from Roman times par excellence, they are crucial to the dense network of production sites operating in the first century AD.the slopes of Vesuvius and the plain near the river Sarno, restore us once again of wealth, testimony of our history at all.

These colonies were simple farmers with small and medium sized family business or entrusted to the slaves, but also more complex, residential areas with rich decorations to the occasional presence of artists of great ability, at least in areas intended for the manufacture and from slavery to work.  Through optimal preservation conditions of the facilities and furnishings, some materials of the burial of the volcanic eruption in 79 AD, these excavations give us data that allowed the excavation to reconstruct the various stages and artistic styles and also to revive the customs of the time. Regina Villa, Villa and Villa Pisanella Publius Fennius Synistor enrich with their mere presence, the artistic concepts from Roman times and the imposing presence of the Naples area in this period

RUSTIC VILLA REGINA

Adjacent to the museum, about 8 m below the current level of the road, is the only example in the area of a villa rustica, a typical agricultural setting of the Roman world. It has been fully excavated and opened to the public. The drawing of the land is encor that of 79 AD .: in situ tree trunks castings and vine roots are still visible;  the vineyards around the villa were replanted exactly where they were in the past, while the ceilings and roofs of the farm were reconstructed keeping in mind, if possible, the original pitch.

Adjacent to the museum, about 8 m below the current level of the road, is the only example in the area of a villa rustica, a typical agricultural setting of the Roman world.  It has been fully excavated and opened to the public. The drawing of the land is encor that of 79 AD .: in situ tree trunks castings and vine roots are still visible;  the vineyards around the villa were replanted exactly where they were in the past, while the ceilings and roofs of the farm were reconstructed keeping in mind, if possible, the original pitch.

Here is preserved the remains of a press for the pressing of the grapes, and we can see the large room vinaire composed of large "Dolium" clay amphoras, almost completely buried or were kept good 'Vinum Vesvinum ', the Roman drinking even mixed with honey.  This farm had its center in a gantry sorting surrounding an open space where we find in the ground eighteen clay amphorae large dimensions covered wooden lids;  This gave a total capacity of about ten thousand liters (20 cullei). Grapes trace of presence after the fair analyzes that have been made.  From the entrance, flanked by a warehouse (X) and a cibicula (XII) (B) one reaches the northern portico, which opens on ambient service and production.  The largest is a torcularìum (IX-IX), divided into two parts, which was placed in the press.  Near the separation wall, the presence of a sacellum reduced dimensions with a small altar with a lararium shaped small temple decorated with a representation of Bacchus

Beyond torcularìum, another small lararium and thus access to the kitchen (II), equipped with a work area and latrines.  The most important housing is a triclinium (IV) opening on the eastern side of the portico and decorated with sandstone floors and paintings Third style separated by red signs, yellow and black.  Another room used by the owners of the complex, was obtained by imperial era by adding a mezzanine in the attic (VIII) with barn functions;  she was in direct communication with the hedge (XVII).  Here significant presence of bones of animals.  Along the walls of the excavation, soil stratigraphy clearly shows the sequence of pyroclastic material deposits determined by the eruption in AD 79 that caused the destruction of the small farm.

THE  VILLA  PISANELLA
From Villa said Pisanella, dug between 1895 and 1899, is now buried.  The structure consists of an "urban Pars" reserved for the owner, (living rooms decorated in 3 ° and a neighborhood style bath) and a "pars rustica", with dormitories for officials, a bakery, barn, a press for wine (torcular) and an oil press (trapetum). La capacité des récipients trouvés dans The capacity of containers found in the wine cellar can be inferred that the villa was managing approximately 24 acres.  The owner, according to some scholars, was Lucius Caecilius Iucundus famous banker of Pompeii.

In 1895, we found a silver treasure disappeared for the current site and go to the benefit of the Louvre Museum in Paris, and the Rothschild collection.  The treasure consisted of gold for a total of 1037 rooms (the equivalent of 102,800 sesterces) and silver service, consisting of 108 pieces of the Augustinian era. The most important parts are formed by two cups with the "triumph of Tiberius 'and' Augustus on the throne", with love, animals and skeletons of philosophers, two launchers with priest wins, a peg with the bust Africa and cups with two relief busts.  Villa also come from the many accounts of "domesticum instrumentum" or upholstery.

VILLA DE PUBLIUS FANNIUS SYNISTOR
The Villa of Publius Fannius Synistor was dug in 1900 in a farm field Boscoreale.  Owner's name is made up to an inscription on a clay pot, probably delivered at home.  The latest discovery in the area of these excavations were brought to the discovery of a seal on what the name already mentioned, is the name of Lucius ajoutais Herius Florus, probably the manager and the administrator of the house.
 The villa was decorated with wonderful frescoes in the 2nd Pompeian style, similar to the Villa of the Mysteries.

The walls were scattered in the finest museums, Naples, New York, Brussels, Paris, Amsterdam.
 On the north side of the court was prepared a series of rooms decorated: a cubicle with city views and architectural landscapes, a oecus, opposite the entrance, adorned with a megalography painted on the bottom of a colonnade .  Here in the middle of the back wall was painted with Love Venus, Dionysos and Ariadne on the left, right, the Three Graces on the flanks a red background; there were also representations of Greek philosophers of the Hellenistic period.  Overall the villa is presented with elegance and decorated with nobility.  A lot of work still has to carry encor terms excavation of this house.